Thursday 22 October 2009

Dissertation

As most people know, 4th year means dissertation. I am a 4th year and dissertation is become a nightmare.

My mentors decided that as I have a slight obsession with hats, that it would be best to focus on them. So two titles I'm juggling are:

Hats: The secret love affair?
Size does matter

Haven't decided which one is best but I'm pretty sure its an investigation into if hats could be reintroduced into every day wear. Course people wear hats as accessories. I wear berets most days during the winter but I'm talking big hats and fascinators from the past. I know its pretty unrealistic but I'm more interested in the history and the social status of hats.

I will look at the history from right at the start of headwear to a few decades ago. I think i will look at the Glasgow Hairies which will incorporate both the history and social status of hats. Of course I have to look at royalty as well as royal ascot. It wouldn't be a millinery dissertation if I didn't include those.

I really don't know why people stopped wearing hats. I see people wearing little fascinators in their hair if they are brave enough but I do sometimes wish I was born in the past where it was all about glamour and elegance.

Im going to take a chance with this and try and get case studies from professional milliners. I did a course with the amazing Jane Smith this summer and I'm hoping that if shes not too busy she won't mind me contacting her so I can bend her ear and do a case study on her.

Writing 15,000 words on something I love will not be hard. But for some reason I feel like I'm being over whelmed already.

No comments:

Post a Comment